Sign in to follow this  
SceptileMasterr

"Not Just Dreams," an ES Fanfic

Title: “Not Just Dreams”

Book: Endless Summer

Main Pairing: Quinn x Taylor (gender not stated)

Other Pairings: Vague hints toward Diego x Varyyn

Genre: Romance, Vaanu Ending Override

Warnings: Brief swearing

Summary: Ever since the island and the sacrifice to Vaanu, Quinn has been dreaming about Taylor. Then one night, Michelle notices something…

~ ~ ~

Most people hate being abruptly yanked from their dreams by the blaring of their alarm.

Quinn, though, had more reason than most to hate it.

It should have been impossible. It still didn’t make any sense. But somehow, whenever she fell asleep, she was able to talk to Taylor. At first, she’d assumed it was just that: a dream. But the longer they went on, the more and more she wanted to believe that it was real,they were really there, somehow, talking with her. But it wasn’t until she spent a night at Michelle’s place that she and the others understood what was really happening.

~ ~ ~

“Quinn! Quinn, are you okay!?” Michelle shouted.

The dream connection vanished as Quinn was roused from sleep. She blinked open her eyes to see Michelle standing over her, grasping Quinn’s shoulders and staring at her with concern and fear. “Wha… Michelle?” asked Quinn groggily. “Something wrong?”

Michelle’s eyes were wide with shock. “Quinn. Is that you in there?”

“What?” asked the redhead nervously. “Uh…of course it’s me. Who else would I be?”

Michelle glanced furtively back and forth, as if unsure what to say. Finally she took a deep breath and sat down on the bed. “Quinn…you were glowing. Glowing green.”

Silence followed this statement for several moments as the meaning of her words sunk in. “Green. Like…?”

Vaanu green.”

Quinn’s mouth dropped open as she felt the puzzle pieces click into place. “They’re not dreams…” she muttered to herself. “They’re not dreams!” Ecstatic, she jumped out of bed and pulled Michelle into a tight hug. “Michelle, do you know what this means!?”

“That you’re…crushing me…?”

Embarrassed, Quinn let Michelle go. “Er, right, sorry.” She sat back down and turned to face the other girl. “I’ve told everyone before about my dreams, remember? After the island?”

Michelle nodded. “Your dreams about Taylor.”

“I was talking to Taylor again in my dreams just now. Before you woke me up. But if you’re telling me I’m glowing like Vaanu in my sleep….”

Now it was Michelle’s turn to be surprised. “…Then you’re saying…you’re actually talking with Taylor?”

“Vaanu’s still with me, somehow. Which finally explains the mystery of me being cured after returning from La Huerta.”

“I had been wondering about that…”

“So maybe, if Vaanu’s still somewhere inside me, that’s why I’m able to talk with Taylor! I have to tell them that tonight!”

Michelle nodded. “This is…I really hope you’re right. God, I miss Taylor. I miss them so much. We all do.” Getting a sudden idea, she pulled out her phone and started a group text. “I’m gonna let the others know. This is huge.”

Quinn smiled at her gratefully. “Go ahead. I’m gonna figure out a way to stay distracted until tonight, or this is going to be a long day for me….”

~ ~ ~

Quinn tossed and turned, back in her own bed that night, frustrated as she wondered why trying to go to sleep always seemed to make it more difficult. She’d tried just about everything she could think of: counting backwards from 1000, reciting poems in her head, meditating, counting her breaths…. She had even put on a recorded lecture from her absolute most boring professor, only to inexplicably stay awake for the whole thing for what was probably the first time in her life. She kept glancing at her phone’s lock screen to check the time. 2:57 AM … 3:35 AM … 4:12 AM …

~ ~ ~

“Quinn?” asked dream-Taylor suddenly, and she realized she’d finally, finally, fallen asleep. “Hey, there you are.”

“Taylor! Oh God, finally. You’re not a dream!”

There was a long pause. “…Yeah, Quinn, I’ve told you that before.”

“Well, only a dream would say they’re not a dream.”

“That doesn’t make sense.”

Quinn laughed. “I’m…still connected with Vaanu, aren’t I? That’s how I can hear you?”

“Probably. I’m not quite sure. I…it’s like I’m the one dreaming, but all the time. I don’t know where I am. Inside Vaanu? Part of Vaanu? It’s complicated.”

“That’s not important. What matters is that I can talk to you, for real, and you’re not just in my own head anymore. You’re somewhere.”

Quinn pictured Taylor smiling that familiar, infectious smile, even though she couldn’t actually see them through the dream-connection. “Well, yeah, that’s what I’ve been saying. I have to be somewhere, don’t I? Otherwise, I wouldn’t be anywhere.”

“…What?”

“I don’t know, either. Time doesn’t really…make sense the same way to me, anymore.” She felt she could almost hear Taylor shrugging. “I’m part of Vaanu, but also…not. I’m somewhere, though. I get flashes of a place sometimes.”

“What does it look like? We’ll find you.”

“Purple.”

Quinn paused, unsure if their ‘connection’ was somehow ‘faulty.’ “Did you say ‘purple?’” she asked.

“Yep. All purple and…crystal-y. I, uh… can’t get much more than that.”

“I’ll tell the others. We’ll find you. I promise.” Quinn felt her dream-avatar start crying. “You’re real. I’m really talking to you. I so badly wanted to believe it…but…”

“Shh,” came Taylor’s familiar, reassuring voice. “I’m real, Quinn. I’ve always been real.”

“I…I wish I could kiss you.”

Taylor’s smile was audible. “Me too, Quinn. Me too.”

“I love you, Taylor. I miss you. Come home.”

“If I knew how to, I would.”

“Then I’ll find you. However long it–”

~ ~ ~

*CRASH!*

Quinn was abruptly awakened from her dream-talk with Taylor. She looked around for the source of the disturbance, and saw her door hanging off its hinges, with Diego and Varyyn standing just outside. “Varyyn, I told you, you can’t just slam through a locked door!” whispered Diego.

“I am sorry, Diego. Was the door not intentionally sealed shut as a test of strength?”

“What!? No! Look, next time, just let me lead.” Then he noticed Quinn for the first time. “Oh! Our bad, I am so, so sorry. I didn’t realize you were still sleeping!”

Quinn sighed and brushed a stray lock out of her face. “It’s fine. It’s so nice to see you two again! What time is it, anyway?”

“Uh…almost noon.”

“Right…wow. Okay. Just let me get dressed and I’ll be right out!”

Diego’s face went beet red. Varryn’s face turned green, which was maybe the Vaanti version of blushing, she still wasn’t really sure. “Yeah. Of course. Sorry! Uh…what do you want me to do about the door?”

Quinn laughed. “No worries, I can get it repaired. Just keep it closed for now.” How in the world I’ll explain THAT to the school maintenance service, I have no idea, she thought to herself.

~ ~ ~

Some time later, she met Diego and Varyyn in the student lounge, along with Michelle, Raj, Craig, Zahra, and Sean. Everyone looked at her expectantly. “…Right. Michelle, what did you tell them?” she asked.

Michelle shrugged. “Just the basics. You still glow green like Vaanu sometimes, and you can talk to Taylor.”

Quinn looks at the others. “Well…yeah, that’s about it,” she said. “I thought I was just dreaming about Taylor all this time. But now, I think I’m really talking to them each night.”

Everyone started talking at once, until finally Zahra stood up on a chair and shouted, “SHUT THE FUCK UP!” Silence. “Go ahead, Quinn.”

Quinn smiled gratefully at Zahra. “Thanks. Listen, I still don’t really know what all this means, but I do know one thing. Taylor’s still out there, somewhere. Someplace…‘purple and crystal-y.’ At least that’s all they were able to tell me before I got woken up.” Diego scratches his neck sheepishly. “And if they’re still…alive somehow, then we need to find them, and bring them home. I know out of our group I’m not the smartest…or the strongest…or the bravest…but if I have to, I’ll do it alone.” An awkward silence followed this statement. “Uh…thank you.” Quinn bowed awkwardly and took a seat on the couch beside Michelle.

Everyone looked at each other. Then Diego started clapping. Then Varyyn joined in. Then Zahra, then Sean, then Michelle and Raj. And finally, with a sigh of “What the hell…”, Craig joined in. “I always wanted to do that!” exclaimed Diego excitedly. “Nice speech, Quinn!”

“And you won’t have to do it alone,” added Sean, standing up. “I’m with you.”

“We all are,” put in Michelle. “Right?” A chorus of affirmatives greeted this statement.

For the first time since Taylor’s sacrifice, joy filled Quinn’s heart again. “Taylor…” she said softly, looking up toward the ceiling, picturing their smiling face in her mind, “…I’m on my way.”

~A SceptileMasterr Studios Creation